NOVA Wonders

Wednesdays at 9pm on ThinkTV16 & Tuesdays at 10pm on ThinkTV14

NOVA Wonders is a fresh, lively series that makes complicated concepts accessible while taking a deep dive into the scientific process. Each week, a one-hour episode poses a single big scientific question and takes viewers along on a journey to explore how far we’ve come in our quest for answers and how we’ve managed to get here. Among the intriguing topics pondered are the secret language of animals, what’s hidden in the human body, the artificial intelligence technologies that could rival and surpass the abilities of the human mind, the controversial power to engineer life in a lab, and the mysteries of the universe.

The series travels to some unexpected places to look for answers — including deep underwater, where humpback whales are essentially playing a game of “telephone” across the world, with pods teaching each other new songs; deep beneath our skin, where trillions of microbes are living in our bodies; deep below the earth, in mines where researchers are trying to detect elusive dark matter particles; deep into space, where astrophysicists are hunting for signs of extra-terrestrial life, and more.

NOVA Wonders: What are Animals Saying?
Wednesday, April 25, at 9pm on ThinkTV16
Tuesday, May 1, at 10pm on ThinkTV14

From singing whales and howling wolves to chirping birds and clicking dolphins, the world is filled with the exotic vocalizations of other creatures. But what are they saying? While we believe language sets us apart, scientists are finally beginning to unravel the codes of animal communication.

NOVA Wonders: What’s Living in You
Wednesday, May 2, at 9pm on ThinkTV16
Tuesday, May 8, at 10pm on ThinkTV14

From what makes us fat, to what makes us fart, to what makes us freak out, there is a whole new paradigm for understanding how the human body works. Research reveals we’re more like an ecosystem with tons of microbes living in us, on us, and even having sex literally right under our noses.

NOVA Wonders: Are We Alone?
Wednesday, May 9, at 9pm on ThinkTV16
Tuesday, May 15, at 10pm on ThinkTV14

While the search for extraterrestrial life is an age-old quest, recent breakthroughs make today like no other in the history of astronomy. From the Kepler mission’s astounding discovery of thousands of extrasolar planets, to the exhilarating probing of planetary ecosystems within our own solar system, to the high-tech telescopes under development, the prospects for finding life beyond Earth have never been stronger.

NOVA Wonders: Can We Build a Brain?
Wednesday, May 16, at 9pm on ThinkTV16
Tuesday, May 22, at 10pm on ThinkTV14

Artificially intelligent machines are taking over—influencing our everyday lives in profound and often invisible ways. They can read handwriting, interpret emotions, play games, and even act as personal assistants. They are in our phones, our cars, our doctors’ offices, our banks, our web searches… The list goes on and is rapidly growing ever longer. But how does today’s A.I. actually work, and is it truly intelligent?

NOVA Wonders: Can We Make Life?
Wednesday, May 23, at 9pm on ThinkTV16
 Tuesday, May 29, at 10pm on ThinkTV14
 “It’s alive!” Since Dr. Frankenstein spoke those famous words, we’ve been alternately enthralled and terrified by the idea of creating life in the lab. Now, a revolution in genetic engineering and thrilling innovations in synthetic biology are bringing the dream—or nightmare, as the case may be—closer to reality.

NOVA Wonders: What’s the Universe Made Of?
Wednesday, May 30, at 9pm on ThinkTV16
Tuesday, June 5, at 10pm on ThinkTV14

The universe is hiding something. In fact, it is hiding a lot. Everything we experience on Earth, the stars and galaxies we see in the cosmos — all the “normal” matter that we understand — make up only 5 percent of the known universe. The other 95 percent is made up of two mysterious components: “dark matter” and “dark energy.” We can’t see them, but we know they’re there.